This announcement represents a single point in time. Future releases may impact the information below.
Feature Announced: November 01, 2022 / Feature Released: Coming Soon!
New Conversations Tool for Procore Accounts
In BetaThe Conversations tool is currently in an open beta.
Procore is releasing a new Conversations tool that will be available for all Procore accounts to use for their projects. See the guide below and the following resources:
About Procore Conversations
The Conversations tool provides a convenient solution for messaging across projects within Procore's web and mobile applications. You can participate in direct and group conversations with individuals in your company and send messages related to specific items within your projects. You can access all of your messages for projects in the Conversations tool and receive push notifications for new messages on your mobile device.
See the sections below to learn about Conversations:
- Conversations Tool Setup
- Permission Considerations
- Conversations on Procore's Web Application
- Conversations on Procore's Mobile Applications
Conversations Tool Setup
NoteThe Conversations tool can only be enabled and configured by users with 'Admin' permissions to the Company level Directory tool (also referred to as a Company Admins).
Enable The Conversations Beta
While the Conversations tool is in beta, a Company Admin must opt in to the Conversations beta in order to enable the tool for the company's account in Procore. See How do I opt in to the beta for Procore Conversations?
Configure Access and Settings
After the beta has been opted into, the Conversations tool can be enabled and configured in the Company level Admin tool. See Configure Access and Settings for the Conversations Tool.
Company Admins can:
- Decide whether to allow the Conversations tool to be used by all users in a project or only by internal employees. See How do I add someone as an employee of my company?
- Choose to enable or disable certain features, such as direct messages and the ability to edit or delete a message 5 minutes after sending.
- Select the projects that the Conversations tool will be available on.
Access to the Conversations tool is configured by a Company Admin of the Procore account. See Configure Access and Settings for the Conversations Tool. It can be enabled for all users in a project or just for internal employees. See How do I add someone as an employee of my company?
Project users can have conversations with any other users in the project's Directory and on items that they have access to. See How do permissions work for the Conversations tool?
The following considerations exist:
- Direct Messages:
- If Direct Messages are enabled for the account, anyone in the project's Directory (and Company Admins) can be messaged and message others.
- If Direct Messages are only enabled for internal employees, only users marked as employees of the company can be messaged and message others.
- Direct messages are private and can only be seen by the individuals in the message. Admin users cannot view direct messages that they are not a part of.
Note: If you are a Company Admin and need a copy of all Conversations data in the account, a JSON text file can be provided. Please contact Procore Support and include the dates that you want data exported from.
- Group Conversations:
- By default, only Admins can create and manage groups. However, you can choose to grant the 'Create and Manage Groups' privilege to internal employees or all users. See See Configure Access and Settings for the Conversations Tool.
- Anyone in the project's Directory (and Company Admins) can be messaged or mentioned in a group.
- Messages within a group conversation can only be seen by members of that group.
- Item Conversations:
- Conversations for specific items in a project can only be viewed and participated in by users with access to the item in Procore ('Read Only' or higher permissions to the item's tool and appropriate access if an item is marked as Private).
- All conversations:
- Users can only message or mention users who exist in the project's Directory, as well as Company Admins.
- Users can only edit and delete their own messages (within 5 minutes of sending and if the feature is enabled).
- Users can only hide a conversation from their own view.
Conversations on Procore's Web Application
When you click the Conversations icon in the Procore header, you will see your own view of the Conversations tool, where you can view and respond to direct messages, group messages and item conversations for all of your projects within a Procore account. If you belong to projects for different companies in Procore, you will only see project conversations for the company that you are currently logged into Procore for.
- If no conversations exist yet for a project, you will not see the project name in the Conversations tool. (In the image above, 'Conversation Building' is the only project that the user is part of conversations for).
- Similarly, you will only see items that conversations have been started for in the Items section and groups that you have been added to in the Groups section.
While viewing an item in a supported tool, you can click the Conversations icon on the right side of the page to start or view a conversation (the image below shows Conversations in the RFI tool). To learn which tools you can currently use Conversations with, see Which project tools support Conversations?
Create and Manage Groups
Users with the 'Create and Manage Group' privilege (see Configure Access and Settings for the Conversations Tool) can create groups for messaging specific individuals in the Conversations tool. See Create a Group in the Conversations Tool and Manage a Group in the Conversations Tool.
All individuals in a Procore project can send messages from the Conversations tool and you can also send messages from within tools that support Conversations. See Which tools and items support Conversations?
See the following tutorials for more information:
- Send a Message in the Conversations Tool
- Mention a User in a Conversation
- Reply to a Message in a Thread within a Conversation
- Edit or Delete a Message in the Conversations Tool
Note: This is an optional feature that may not be available in the Procore account you are working in. Messages can only be edited or deleted within 5 minutes of you sending them.
You can view all of your messages from the Conversations tool in Procore on web or mobile.
- New direct messages and @mentions trigger notification badges to ensure you never miss important communications.
- Group or item conversations that are shown in bold indicate new activity and a badge appears when you are @mentioned in these conversations.
Note: If you use Procore with different company accounts, you will only see project conversations for the company that you currently are logged into.
See the following tutorials for more information:
Conversations on Procore's Mobile Applications
While most functionality is the same on Procore's web and mobile applications, there are a few differences to note:
- Instead of a Company level tool showing conversations for all of your projects, you will open the Conversations tool in the project that you are currently working in.
- As long as push notifications are enabled for the Conversations tool on your mobile device, you will get push notifications for any new messages that you receive, regardless of whether the Procore app is currently open.
- Groups can only be created and managed on Procore's web application.
Manage Push Notifications
- Which project tools support Conversations?
- How do I opt in to the beta for Procore Conversations?
- How do permissions work for the Conversations tool?
- How do notifications work for the Conversations tool in Procore?
- How does someone become a 'Follower' of a conversation in Procore?
- Why am I not seeing all of my projects in the Conversations tool?
- How can I attach a photo to my message in the Conversations tool?