Set or Release Retention on a Subcontractor Progress Claim
This tutorial details Procore's legacy experience for setting or releasing retainage on a subcontractor invoice. The information on this page will be replaced with updated content when the redesigned subcontrator invoice beta experience is generally available. To learn about this release and its timeline, see Financial Management: New Admin View for Subcontractor Invoices.
Important! If you are using the subcontractor progress claim beta experience, please see the Set or Release Retention on a Subcontractor Progress Claim tutorial under the Invoicing tool instead of the information below.
To set or release retention for line items on a subcontractor progress claim with the Commitments tool.
In Procore, the term Retention refers to the practice of withholding of a portion of a contract amount until the work is deemed satisfactorily complete. The withheld amount is specified in an agreement between the contracting party (the party paying for the work) and a contracted party (the person or company performing the work). A common practice is to withhold 5-10% of a contract's total value until a milestone is reached. Then, the withheld amount can be released as a progress payment. When work is substantially complete, the withheld amount can be released as a final payment.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions:
- To set and release retention when editing a progress claim before, during or after the current billing period, 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool.
- To release retention when editing a progress claim during the current billing period only, 'Standard' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool and you must be the designated 'Invoice Contact' on the contract. Progress Claim contacts are automatically added to the 'Private' drop-down list on the contract.
NoteTo learn more about releasing retention on a subcontractor progress claim, see Create a Subcontractor Progress Claim for the Release of Retention.
- Additional Information:
- To set the same percentage of retention on all line items in the progress claim, enter a value to apply to all line items in the progress claim.
- To release retention on all line items, enter a value to apply to all line items. This moves the desired percentage from the 'Currently Retained' column to the 'Released This Period' column.
- You can also manage withholding using Procore's sliding scale retention feature. See What is sliding scale retention?
- Enable Retention on a Purchase Order or Subcontract
- Create a new progress claim and place it into the 'Draft' status. See Create a Progress Claim on Behalf of a Progress Claim Contact.
- Navigate to the project's Commitments tool.
- Under the Contracts tab, locate the purchase order or subcontract. Then click Edit.
- Click the Progress Claims tab.
- Locate the subcontractor progress claim that you want to work with.
- Click the Detail tab.
- Click the Edit button.
- Choose the next steps:
Set Retention on All Line Items
To set retention, you must have 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool.
- Under Set Retention on All Line Items, do the following:
- Enter the percentage to withhold in the Work Completed box.
- Click Set.
- Enter the percentage to withhold in the Materials Stored box. To learn more, see How do I bill for stored materials in Procore?
- Click Set.
Release Retention on All Line Items
- To release retention on a progress claim, you must have the Required User Permissions detailed above.
- To learn how to create a new subcontractor progress claim to release retention on all line items, see Create a Subcontractor Progress Claim for the Release of Retention.
- Under Release Retention on All Line Items, do the following:
- Enter the percentage to release in the Work Completed box.
- Click Release.
A GREEN banner appears to confirm the retention was released.