Maintain Budget Codes Across Line Items in Sync
When creating variations from change events, the budget code(s) in the variation's schedule of values (SOV) automatically populates with the budget code(s) from the change event line items they were created from. The Change Events configuration setting: 'Maintain Budget Codes across all Line Items in sync' will unlock Change Event line items linked to draft or ‘editable’ change objects and determine whether changes to the budget codes on change objects will sync with their connected objects. For example, a change event connected to a potential variation. Turning the setting on unlocks the ability to edit your change objects creating a variation while keeping the line items and budget codes connected to them in sync. See Configure Settings: Change Events.
Impacted change objects include:
- Head Potential Variation SOV
- Head Contract Variation SOV (if using One (1) Tier Variations. See What are the different variation tier settings in Project Financials?)
- Change Events
- Change Event Line Items View (See View the Change Event Line Items View.)
- Commitment Variation & Commitment Potential Variation SOV
- Commitment SOV
When the 'Maintain Budget Codes across all Line Items in sync' setting is enabled at a company level, all current and new projects will have this setting turned on. If you do not want this setting enabled, it can be turned off for a project within Change Events settings.
Procore does NOT apply settings changes to existing objects retroactively.
When Setting is Turned Off
- When change event line items are linked to both commitment variations and/or potential variations, those change event line item's budget codes, vendor and contract become locked and cannot be edited.
- When Budget Codes are updated and line items are added from the commitment variation/potential variation SOV, those changes do NOT update the information in the change event. In the case the Change Event is linked to a Commitment Variation, vendor and contract fields are also locked along with the line item.
When Setting is Turned On (default when enabled)
- When change event line items are linked to editable variation SOV, those change event line item budget codes, vendor and contract will become editable. However, when linked to a Commitment Variation or Commitment, Vendor and Contract will remain locked until disassociated with current commitment.
- If all linked Change Objects are ‘editable’, when Budget Codes are updated and/or line items are added from the variation SOV, those changes will update the line item in the connected change object.
- If Change Events are linked to approved or ‘uneditable’ change objects, the budget codes for both the Change Event line item and approved Variation will remain locked. If then connected to another ‘editable’ Change Object (ex. CV), when the user updates linked line items’ budget code, they will be informed that, “some line items are locked (on the change event and PV) and could not be updated”
A line item in a Change Event is editable when:
- The Change Event is linked to draft or unapproved variations.
- The corresponding contract or variation is in an unapproved status. See: What are the default statuses for variations in Procore? What are the default commitment statuses in Procore?
A line item in a Variation Schedule of Values is editable when:
- The Status is in an unapproved state.
- The 'Enable Always Editable Schedule of Values' setting is turned ON. See Configure Advanced Settings: Commitments and Configure Settings: Head Contract.
Change objects are not editable when:
- The object is in an 'Approved' status.
- The project has a custom approval workflow. See Workflows.
- The project's contract and variation data is synced with an ERP Integration.
When the 'Maintain Budget Codes across all Line Items in sync' setting is turned ON, the following scenarios for editing variations and change events will result in budget codes remaining synced:
If you edit the SOV of a potential variation in the Draft status connected to a change event line item, Procore automatically updates the corresponding budget code on the change event. If you choose to first update the change event line item, Procore automatically updates the corresponding value in the potential variation if it is in an unapproved status. If the Potential Variation is moved to an uneditable state (approved, workflow, ERP), this will lock both linked line items on the Change Event and Variation SOV line item.
A potential variation and commitment variation are in an editable status and change event line items are linked. If the budget code on the potential variation or commitment variation line item is updated, the budget codes across all three change objects will also be updated.
A change event line item is linked to both a potential variation and a commitment variation. In this example, the Head Contract Variation is approved and uneditable, as is the linked Change Event line item. The Commitment Variation is in a draft status. Users will still be able to update the line item of that editable Commitment Variation SOV. However, when the user updates linked line items’ budget code, they will be informed that, “some line items are locked (on the change event and PV) and could not be updated”